Why Should You Take This Course?
If you want to gain a Level 3 qualification in science in combination with other subjects then this may be the course for you. If you prefer continual assessment through assignments to exams then this is a more suitable course than A Level science courses. The first year units studied can lead to a BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Applied Science. You can then progress onto the second year which will lead to a Subsidiary Diploma in your chosen specialist science (Applied Biology, Chemistry or Physics). This is equivalent to an A Level.
The course consists of 6 units of study taken over two years. In the first year all students will study units in Fundamentals of Science, working in the Science Industry and Scientific Practical Techniques. In the second year, 3 units will be chosen from a range of specialist units in Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
The possible options may include:
- Perceptions of Science
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Energy Changes, Sources and Applications
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Chemical Laboratory Techniques
The possible options for second year may include:
- Biology: Physiology of Human Body Systems, Genetics, Biochemistry
- Chemistry: Chemical Laboratory Techniques, Practical Chemical Analysis, Industrial Organic Chemistry
- Physics: Science Investigations, Energy Sources, Astronomy
How will I be assessed?
Each unit is internally assessed by written work in a portfolio and successful work is awarded a pass, merit or distinction grade. Work will include a range of practical and written skills. All work is subject to external verification and all units must be successfully completed to obtain the qualifications. Many universities will accept this in place of the equivalent A Level Science for most courses.
Are there any special expenses?
There are no special expenses.
What could I do next?
This science qualification will prove useful when applying for a range of HE courses or for employment.