Why Should You Take This Course?
This course will allow you to look at the many different aspects of dance and gain a broad understanding of training, creating and performing. You will be able to experience a wide range of dance styles and gain performance experience.
Performing to an Audience: Pupils prepare for a live public performance, develop performance skills, learn about the context of performances, different venues and rehearsal skills.
Dance Appreciation: View, discuss and analyse a range of dance works in different styles, learn and perform sequences from professional works.
Specialist units may include:
- Jazz Dance
- Understanding relationship between music and dance, understand and perform in a range of different jazz dance styles
- Choreographic Principles
- Structuring dances, using different starting points for dance, working with dancers and evaluating the choreographic process
- The Healthy Performer
- Dance related injuries and treatments, balanced diet for dancers, principles of fitness training
- Rehearsing for Performers
- Rehearsal process, applying rehearsal and performance skills, reviewing the rehearsal process, prepare for a public performance
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is completed across the two years via assignment work. Each unit has outcomes you must cover in order to pass. Each assignment is graded on a Pass, Merit and Distinction basis. Assessment methods will be varied, ranging from practical assessment to written coursework.
Are there any special expenses?
There will be some trips to performances and shows as well as workshops during the two years - costs to be confirmed at the start of the course.
What could I do next?
This qualification will aid entrance to University to study Dance or PE and opens the door to careers in the teaching of dance, performing, choreography and critical analysis.