Why Should You Take This Course?
The study of how the English Language is used in practice and how it varies between people is at the heart of this Course. We will explore English scientifically using linguistic analysis.
This two year Course explores the way the English Language is used and how it changes depending on the context in which it is being used.
In the first year you will study the following:
Language and the Individual
- The foundation elements needed in order to examine language in a technical manner
- Analysis and comparison of a variety of texts
- Language diversity which explores language and Social groups, Occupation, Gender and Region
- Texts revealing attitudes towards diversity
- Language DisCourses - A directed writing task on attitudes to language
In the second year you will study the following:
Language, the Individual and Society
- Textual variations and representations - Analysis of texts linked by topic or theme
- Children's Language development
Language Diversity and Change
- Exploring the diversity of language and how it changes depending on context
- Analysis of how language changes or has changed over the years
- Analysis of how the texts use language to present ideas, attitudes and opinions
- Directed writing task linked to the topic and ideas in a text
How will I be assessed?
In the first year:
- Two exams at the end of the year
- You will gain an AS in Language following successful completion of the first year
In the second year:
- You will gain a complete A Level following the successful completion of the second year.
What could I do next?
English Language A Level is well respected by Higher Education institutions.