Why Should You Take This Course?
Do you have a passion for cooking? Are you interested in becoming the newest big name in the catering industry, the next Nigella Lawson, Monica Galetti, Tom Kerridge or Gordon Ramsey? Do you like working with your hands and gain satisfaction from a job well done? Then a career in the catering industry might suit you. The catering industry is one of the biggest and most diverse employment sectors in the country. The Level 2 Diploma is designed to fully prepare you for entry into this dynamic sector. The Diploma in Culinary Skills enables you to gain and develop the skills required for a successful career in this field. The practical aspects of the qualification will take place in our professional skills kitchen.
This qualification is structured to teach you the practical skills and knowledge required for you to gain employment in the catering industry, both local and national. Over the course you will prepare and cook a range of dishes, covering a wide range of commodities. Areas covered include:
• How to prepare food safely, covered by completing the RSPH Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene.
• Basic catering skills, covered by the preparation and cooking of stocks, soups, sauces and vegetables, including vegetarian dishes and special diets.
• The Preparation and cooking of meat and offal, from individual cuts to larger joints.
• The preparation and cooking of poultry, from individual cut to full birds.
• The preparation and cooking of fish and shellfish, from individual fillets to whole fish.
• The production of dishes using rice, fresh made pasta, grains and egg.
• The production of patisserie products, from hot and cold desserts, cake biscuits and sponges to fermented dough products.
You will also gain further knowledge in:
• The catering industry
• How to work in a safe manner
• How to plan prepare and cook food to meet the needs of healthier and special diets
• Catering operations such as planning and costing menus to meet the customer's needs and operational costs.
How will I be assessed?
All practical assessments are carried out in our professional kitchen within normal lessons, under timed conditions. Knowledge is assessed by the use of written assignments and short answer question papers.
Are there any special expenses?
Students are required to purchase specific catering uniform and some small equipment, this can be purchased through the College. Students will also be required to hire a locker and obtain print credits.
If you wish to apply for 2020-2021 academic year, please complete the online application form.