Why Should You Take This Course?
This course allows students to explore and investigate the health and Social care sector through the delivery if a range of diverse units. The qualification develops a deep common core of knowledge, understanding and skills in the sector through mandatory content.
The course is designed for students with an interest in a career in the health service or social care sector. It will focus on a wide range of settings and client groups. Students will be expected to attend placement for a minimum of 450 hours in a range of settings over the duration of the two years. This course is the equivalent of 3 A levels.
Students taking this qualification will study eight mandatory units:
• Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
• Human Lifespan Development
• Working in Health and Social Care
• Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs
• Principles of Safe Practice in Health and Social Care
• Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care
• Promoting Public Health
• Work Experience in Health and Social Care.
• Sociological Perspectives
• Psychological Perspectives
• Supporting Individuals with Additional Needs
• Nutritional Health
• Caring for Individuals with Dementia
• Assessing Children's Development Support Needs.
• Microbiology for Health Science
• Biochemistry for Health
• Health Psychology
• Physiological Disorders and their Care.
How will I be assessed?
There are four external units assessed through exams. Two in the first years and two in the second year. The remained of the units are assessed internally through assignments/projects, case studies and practical work.
Are there any special expenses?
Students will be expected to pay for their own transport to and from placement, a DBS check and uniform. There will be some trips and visits, which will incur travelling costs and will be a compulsory part of the course.
What could I do next?
This course could lead o to any health or social care degree course, such as Nursing, Midwifery, Social work or Allied health professions such as Physiotherapy, Radiography or Occupational Therapy.
If you wish to apply for 2020-2021 academic year, please complete the online application form.