At least 5 GCSEs graded 9-5 including English and Science at grade 4 or above. GCSE PE is preferable. Students must participate or coach in one sport to a high standard.
Why Should You Take This Course?
Physical Education enhances a student’s knowledge and experience of PE, sport and health. Prospective students should have a passion for sport, underpinned by interest and knowledge of the biology and psychology of a sports performer. They should be interested in the role of sport within wider society, the development of sport within our country and internationally alongside excellence in their own sport.
The subject offers a holistic approach to various aspects of Physical Education and sport. The specifications focus on 6 areas:
Where possible, theoretical concepts are taught through practical application; however much of the learning is undertaken in a classroom. Opportunities arise for students to see the ‘theory in action’; namely through trips to the Sports Science laboratories at the University of Brighton and attendance at university style lectures and conferences.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is 70% exam based. Of the remaining 30%, half is attributed to the performers’ physical competence in their chosen sport. The other half is non-examined assessment, a coursework task based on strengths and areas for improvement in their practical performance.
Are there any special expenses?
There may be additional costs for lab visits and revision guides.
What could I do next?
A degree or HND in a sports related area, teaching, coaching or sports centre work.
If you wish to apply for 2022-2023 academic year, please complete the online application form.